Renal referral system for kidney patients
The introduction of an online digital platform (Patient Pass) which has improved patient access to renal services
Salford Royal’s renal department serves a catchment of 1.5 million patients, cared for at six different acute sites. The department receives 35 calls per day, each taking an average of 9 minutes to resolve and document.
Patient Pass is now live for renal referrals in the north sector of Greater Manchester. Over 700 referrals have been made through the system, in the first six months, following implementation. Feedback has been positive and the system is already releasing staff time and improving patient experience.
Aim of the project:
- Reduce delays in responding to telephone enquiries
- Improve workflow for staff
- Standardise documentation across all six sites within the renal service
- More visibility of patient transfer list across all sites.
An online platform was developed to provide:
- A rapid route to specialist teams
- Control of workflow
- Consistent documentation between spoke and hub sites
- Decision support, providing standardised advice and guidance
- Transparent transfer list
- Real time audit
Patient Pass has undergone a full regional rollout. All referring sites have adopted the system and embedded its use into practice.
Feedback from all teams has been hugely enthusiastic.
Referring sites are delighted to be able to make referrals in under three minutes and to be able to see the expected time to transfer to a renal bed.
Renal staff are highly satisfied with the reduced call volume, the ability to choose when to respond to messages, and the decision support tools providing core clinical responses.
Approximately 20 calls per day have been removed. This has improved access for urgent calls requiring immediate discussion, further improving the care and support the renal team have been able to offer.